The BGS degree program is a broader, multidisciplinary course of study rather than a traditional major/minor
Students take the majority of their courses in an Emphasis which requires 27 units. The remaining courses are taken in 3 different Concentrations, with 9 units required in each Concentration. The Emphasis and the Concentration themes are discussed in more depth on the emphases page.
General Studies is the right major for you if:
- You prefer a broader, multidisciplinary course of study rather than a traditional major/minor.
- You have completed courses towards a specific major, but are no longer pursuing that path.
- You have completed a diversity of coursework and want to apply those courses to a degree program.
- You want a flexible degree program that lets you choose classes that are interesting and meaningful to you.
- You are interested in career fields that do not require a specific academic major or certification.
What Our Students Say
"I knew that I would have more leeway with what classes I could take, and that interested me a lot because there were classes in different departments that I really wanted to take..."
—Courtney Berman, BGS Graduate
"Great course flexibility and met all my requirements."
—Philip Morehouse, BGS Graduate
"I was simply at a dead end, and BGS provided me with a way to complete my degree without having to essentially start over. It allowed me to use courses I had already taken, as well as enroll in courses I wanted to take."
—Julian Dull, BGS Graduate